Your love is a strong, muscular body organ situated contempt to the left of her chest. The pumps blood come all components of the body v a network the blood vessels by repeatedly expanding and also contracting. ~ above average, your heart will beat 100,000 times and pump around 2,000 gallons the blood each day.
You are watching: Which vessel of the heart receives blood during right ventricular systole?
The love is separated into a right and left side, be separated by a septum. Each side has actually an atrium (which obtain blood as it enters) and also a ventricle (from which blood is pumped out). The heart has a total of four chambers: ideal atrium, best ventricle, left atrium and also left ventricle.
The ideal side of the heart collects oxygen-depleted blood and also pumps it come the lungs, with the pulmonary arteries, so that the lungs can refresh the blood with a fresh supply that oxygen.
The left next of the love receives oxygen-rich blood from the lungs, then pumps blood the end to the rest of the body"s tissues, with the aorta.
Valves preserve direction the blood flow
As the heart pumps blood, a series of valves open and close tightly. This valves ensure that blood flows in only one direction, avoiding backflow.The tricuspid valve is situated in between the right atrium and also right ventricle.The pulmonary valve is between the right ventricle and also the pulmonary artery.The mitral valve is in between the left atrium and left ventricle.The aortic valve is in between the left ventricle and also the aorta.
Each love valve, except for the mitral valve, has actually three flaps (leaflets) the open and close like gates on a fence. The mitral valve has two valve leaflets.
The circulatory system
While the heart and lungs space the largest organs that the circulatory system, the blood vessels are the longest. This expanded network of stretchy tubes circulates blood transparent the body. To adjust end-to-end, your body"s blood vessels would certainly extend around 60,000 miles. That"s much more than 21 road trips between brand-new York and also Los Angeles!
Arteries (along with smaller arterioles and microscopic capillaries) convey oxygen- and nutrient-rich blood to the body"s tissues. In turn, veins carry nutrient-depleted blood earlier to the heart. Along the way, blood is routed v the kidneys and also liver, as well, filtering waste products from the blood.
Electrical impulses save the beat
The heart"s four chambers pump in an organized manner through the aid of electric impulses the originate in the sinoatrial node (also dubbed the "SA node"). Positioned on the wall surface of the ideal atrium, this small cluster of specialized cells is the heart"s herbal pacemaker, initiating electrical impulses in ~ a common rate.
The impulse spreads v the wall surfaces of the right and left atria, bring about them come contract, forcing blood into the ventricles. The impulse then reaches the atrioventricular (AV) node, i m sorry acts together an electric bridge for impulses to take trip from the atria to the ventricles. Indigenous there, a pathway of yarn (the HIS-Purkinje network) carries the impulse into the ventricles, i beg your pardon contract and also force blood out of the heart.
Heart anatomy: by the numbers
1. Premium vena cava: receive blood from the upper body; it is intended blood right into the right atrium.
2. Worse vena cava: receive blood native the reduced extremities, pelvis and abdomen, and also delivers blood into the right atrium.
3. Best atrium: obtain blood return to the love from the superior and also inferior vena cava; transmits blood come the right ventricle, i m sorry pumps blood to the lungs because that oxygenation.
4. Tricuspid valve: permits blood to pass from the best atrium to the best ventricle; stays clear of blood indigenous flowing ago into the best atrium together the heart pumps (systole).
5. Best ventricle: receive blood native the appropriate atrium; pumps blood right into the pulmonary artery.
6. Pulmonary valve: permits blood to pass into the pulmonary arteries; prevents blood indigenous flowing back into the right ventricle.
7. Pulmonary arteries: lug oxygen-depleted blood indigenous the love to the lungs.
8. Pulmonary veins: deliver oxygen-rich blood indigenous the lungs to the left atrium that the heart.
9. Left atrium: obtain blood returning to the love from the pulmonary veins.
10. Mitral valve: allows blood to flow into the left ventricle; avoids blood from flowing earlier into the left atrium.
11. Left ventricle: receives oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium and pumps blood right into the aorta.
See more: How Much Does 1 Cup Of Rice Make Cooked? How Much Rice Does One Cup Of Dry Rice Make
12. Aortic valve: enables blood to happen from the left ventricle to the aorta; stays clear of backflow of blood into the left ventricle.